I’ve been asked to pray about several decisions lately. To listen for God’s direction about my involvement in two different ministries. And to date, I haven’t gotten any direction yet. I say yet because I’m confident that God will answer and answer clearly at the right time.
How do I know that? Because he has done it in the past.
Your Journey Has the Lord’s Approval
There was a time when I was praying about stepping down from a ministry. I’d been involved for nearly four years and I was tired. T-i-r-e-d. And began to feel that God was drawing me in a different direction.
At the same time, this new direction kept coming up in different scenarios in my life. I might hear a sermon about following God’s lead. A couple of times others approached me for thoughts about being involved in this new ministry. And I continued to pray. When I let my co-leader know that I was considering stepping down, the conversation left me confused. I knew what I was being called to do but hated disappointing others.
So I prayed some more. And this time I asked God for some specific direction.
A few days or a week went by and I was at work one morning. I kept a perpetual calendar on my desk so I flipped it over to that day’s date and read,
Go in peace. Your journey has the Lord’s approval. Judges 18:6
Well there you have it. The exact confirmation I needed.
How Can You Be Sure?
I’m asked this question all the time…how can I know for sure that God is leading in one direction or another? Following these steps has never failed me…
- Pray and listen to the heart leadings you are receiving. God put those feelings there for a reason. Don’t ignore them.
- Seek wise counsel from the people who know you best. They can be objective and often see things we are missing.
- Ask God for confirmation in His word. Since He never asks us to do anything that contradicts His word, seeking a verse for confirmation can help reassure us that we are on the right track.
- And the final confirmation is the peace you experience after making the decision. For me, when I read that verse I knew that stepping down was the right thing to do. And I felt amazing peace about, regardless of what reactions others might (and did) have.
Where is God going to lead me in the current decisions I’m making? I don’t know yet. But the testimony today is that He knows. And He will reveal it in just the right time.
Join the Testimony Tuesday community! We are sharing our stories of how much God has done for us.
- Subscribe to the blog so that you won’t miss a single post!
- Like Holly Barrett on Facebook and click on Get Notifications.
- Follow Holly Barrett on Twitter and use the hashtag #TestimonyTuesday.
- Follow the Reclaiming a Redeemed Life board on Pinterest.